Monday, November 21, 2011

Review: Exposure by Therese Fowler

Exposure by Therese Fowler is centered around the very current topic of "sexting". A young high school couple, Amelia Wilkes and Anthony Winter, are smart, popular and in love. Carefully exploring the physical side of their relationship, they take some naked photos of each other on their phones and share them with each other via text and email. When Amelia's wealthy, over protective father discovers the photos and involves an ambitious DA hoping to make an example of the young adults, things quickly spiral out of control. This book is fast-paced and engaging.

Fowler depicts a community - including the wealthy Wilkes's and the comfortable but struggling to keep up with their wealthier neighbors Winter's - to which many can relate. Both families are raising young adults by trying to give them privileges like a private education in an effort to give them the best start in life. Amelia's father is, in particular, very anxious for his daughter to succeed. The son of an alcoholic mother, Mr. Wilkes had a rough childhood and he became successful as the owner of car dealerships in spite of his lack of education.  Despite this success, he always felt inferior for not having an education and the polish of privilege and he is determined that Amelia will have every advantage.  Meanwhile, Ms. Winter is a single mother who has raised her son Anthony with the support of her parents.  Anthony is able to attend private school because his mother is a teacher at the school.  Amelia and Anthony come from different economic backgrounds but are both essentially "good kids" exploring young love.  As young kids are wont to do, they made some bad choices which had drastic consequences that threaten their futures.

This book is fast-paced and engaging.  As things spiral out of control for Amelia and Anthony, there are unexpected twists and turns which make for good reading.  I did, however, find my patience with the couple beginning to wane at one point.  The first few mistakes they made were understandable and the consequences seemed disproportionate to their intent but after a while I just wanted to shake them both!  I couldn't believe they were willing to completely jeopardize their futures to stay together - I guess I am little too far away from young love to relate!  Despite that quibble, I enjoyed the book and would recommend.

Interestingly, the book was inspired by an event in the author's son's life.  In an interview with the author,  Fowler did not detail the specifics of the event but did say her heretofore well-behaved son came to her one day and admitted he had made a mistake and was going to be arrested.  This personal experience is likely what lent the realism to the "ripped from the headlines" novel - this realism makes the book a success because you can imagine easily being caught in a similar situation

8 comments:

  1. I share your opinion for this novel, fast paced but I did have to remind myself it's fiction... go with it (towards the end).

    Have you listened to the MMBC author chat? If not, here's the link:

    http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-90383/TS-534702.mp3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review! I feel bad for the author for that really happening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this book a lot, but I did think the ending was a little contrived.

    Fowler was here for a Book Your Lunch event and this is not her son's story, even though he was arrested for sexting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy - she said the same in the interview I heard with her - I should have been more clear that this is not her son's story only that the incident in her son's life was the inspiration for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know if I would like this book or not, but after reading your review, I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to read this one. Good to know that it is fast paced!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a topical read...I'm curious now about the ending.

    ReplyDelete